In Twitter’s discussion last week, Amanda Sterner started some very good points about the Teams Priority Messages on her blog post, she discussed that what are Priority messages or Urgent messages are and how you can use them if you will get stuck somewhere or basically what is the need of priority/urgent messages and why do we send these urgent messages on Microsoft teams. So, here is a guide for you to know how and when do we send urgent messages on Microsoft Teams. The messaging policy is a great way that can be used to regulate and control the user groups who can have the access to Priority Messages.
What Are Urgent/ Priority Messages
Urgent messages or Priority messages feature allows the user, that if it is needed at some point of time, then the user can mark a chat message, an ordinary chat message in Teams as “Urgent”. These are not like the regular, ordinary “important” messages, Urgent Messages, or priority messages, which are also known as “priority notifications”, help the users to get notified repeatedly for 20 minutes of time duration or till the moment when the messages are picked up and read by the desired recipient, like this it increases the possibility of the message, that it will be picked up and the recipient will act accordingly in a given time slot. Here we do have some applications and use cases for Priority Messages, like in the Healthcare field, where you have to contact the doctor, nurse, Also, in the office domains we do have a lot of good cases.
Send Urgent Message on Microsoft Teams
- During a last-minute change of meeting, or when you are canceling a meeting suddenly, you can also create a priority message in the meeting chat so that you can create an alert for all those attendees who are going to attend the meeting, that the meeting room has been changed.
- It also works with reading receipts, to know if the person attending the meeting or when is the person arriving for the meeting, or when someone gets late and then he/she finds this feature very important.
- In that case, when you want urgent help from a specialist or a manager, etc, it even helps in those situations when they are in a meeting or DND mode and will not be able to answer calls. It also involves the feature of urgency text (not just the cry “I need help. Now!”), like this, the specialist or the manager can prioritize their work and act accordingly prioritization.
- And in those cases where something happens and it requires immediate and quick action of a person and the ordinary or normal messages does not seem to reach him (maybe due to DND mode), then “A decision-maker must make a decision now”, “There is a press release that everyone must follow, I see you are in a meeting, break off quickly and connect to crisis meeting”, this is how the person will get the message to take the action quickly.
- Now, to get a message to those who work in the field, requires immediate or quick action, just like, “accident in your area”, “prioritization change: head immediately to.. “, “you have taken a wrong part with you, it is faulty. Do not install it”, “Do not install that service pack”, etc, all these are the priority cases, where the prioritization changes accordingly.
The one thing which can be considered as the commonality in all of these cases is that all of them require immediate action taken by the person so that the trouble can be minimizes otherwise if gets fail to do so then, it may result in problems for customers or production, danger, or loss of money, here the examples given for meeting room helps in saving people’s frustration or unnecessary waiting.
What Are The Risks To Priority Messages
As you already know that Priority messages alert their recipients for 20 minutes and that also with a 2-minute interval of time or till the recipients read the message. These can bypass the Do-Not-Disturb modes but they cannot bypass the phone’s DND mode, and sometimes these become very annoying. So, as it becomes annoying then users perform unwanted behavior like shutting down Teams client, and if that will happen, then it will also kill the idea of a hub for teamwork and will probably affect your tendency of working together. Its users should not misuse this feature and should leave it to real scenarios when it will be needed. And by working in this manner the user will also get an immediate feel that “this is important, so, I need to act on this”.