There have been many good chess-related films made. Nothing on film, however, was able to portray the game as well as “The Queen’s Gambit” did on television. This article answers how you can stream ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ on your preferred streaming platform. So, without any further ado, let’s begin!
Since its Oct. 23 premiere of The Queen’s Gambit in 2020 on Netflix miniseries has been a runaway scripted hit for the network. “The Queen Gambit” follows chess prodigy, Beth Harmon, through the turbulent 1950s and 1960s, from learning the game as an orphaned girl to becoming a world-renowned champion while overcoming drug and alcohol addiction and defeating several grandmasters along the way.
About The Queen’s Gambit
The Queen’s Gambit is a 2020 American period drama streaming television miniseries based on Walter Tevis’ 1983 novel of the same name. The title relates to the chess opening known as the “Queen’s Gambit.” Scott Frank wrote and directed the series, which he co-created with Allan Scott, who owns the rights to the book. The movie chronicles the life of Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy), a fictional chess prodigy on her ascent to the top of the chess world while dealing with drug and alcohol addiction, beginning in the mid-1950s and continuing into the 1960s.
The Queen’s Gambit will be available on Netflix on October 23, 2020. It has become Netflix’s most-watched scripted miniseries after four weeks, making it the top program in 63 countries. The series received positive reviews from critics, who praised Taylor’s performance, Joy’s cinematography, and production values. It was very well welcomed by the chess community, and research suggests that it enhanced general interest in the game.
Despite Taylor-comments Joy’s that she doesn’t mind exploring where Harmon’s chess-playing life can go next if she stays in the part, there are no plans for a sequel, despite “The Queen’s Gambit”‘s success on Netflix. There was no second novel about Harmon from Tevis, and Frank also revealed that her voyage on the film had come to an end for the time being.
Episode guide for ‘The Queen’s Gambit’
The seven-episode names of “The Queen’s Gambit” are also allusions to chess language, as one might assume. Each episode lasts between 46 and 67 minutes. Each episode is summarised here.
- Openings: Beth’s chapter starts with her time in the orphanage, which is responsible for both her chess prowess and her drug addiction. She learns in the basement from Mr. Shaibel, the janitor, while developing a close connection with Jolene.
- Exchanges: The plot shifts to Beth’s childhood with her mother Alma and her missing adopted father, and how, with the support of Alma and Mr. Shaibel, she becomes a high-level competitive chess player as a teenager.
- Doubled Pawns: Beth begins earning money at chess tournaments to support herself and Alma, beginning with a tournament in Cincinnati. She also suffers a setback when in Las Vegas for the 1966 United States Chess Open.
- Middle Game: Beth learns Russian in order to better prepare herself for international play, while also succumbing to drug and alcohol addiction. After graduating from high school, she travels with Alma to Mexico City to play in a tournament. encountering two distinct Russians, 13-year-old fellow prodigy Georgi Girev and seasoned world champion Vasily Borgov Beth experiences a couple of heartbreaking losses, both on and off the field.
- Fork: Beth returns to her Kentucky home and runs into Harry, whom she defeated in one of her first great wins. They develop a stronger bond, but Beth remains focused on improving her chess in order to boost her prospects of winning higher prizes overseas. Beth competes in the 1967 US Open in Ohio, when she meets former adversary turned new coach Benny Watts.
- Adjournment: Beth and Benny continue to prepare in New York for a competition in Paris. Borgov’s chess game does not go as planned, as drugs and alcohol once again get the better of Beth. While returning in Kentucky, her addiction approaches dangerous proportions, giving Harry tremendous concern. She also reunites with Jolene after a long absence.
- End Game: Jolene notifies Beth of another significant personal loss, prompting Beth to reflect on her time in the orphanage. Beth rediscovers her focus in both the game and her life. Jolene assists Beth in getting back on track and to Moscow during the height of the Cold War for a Soviet invitational event. Beth learns she has the full backing of all her new friends in her quest to beat Borgov. Beth redeems herself by overcoming her addiction and playing her finest chess to yet. Her adventure concludes with her appreciating the game and rediscovering the beauty of life.
Stream ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ on your device, here’s how!
Stream The Queen’s Gambit on Roku
Follow these steps to stream The Queen’s Gambit if you own a Roku device:
- Check that your Roku is linked to the internet by plugging it in. Change the input on your TV to the appropriate one.
- On the Roku remote, press the ‘Home’ button.
- Scroll to the left sidebar and select ‘Streaming Channel.’
- Choose ‘Search Channel’ from the drop-down menu.
- Look up ‘Netflix.’
- Choose Netflix from the list.
- From the Netflix channel page, select ‘Add Channel.’
- The Netflix app will be downloaded and installed.
- When you’re finished, click ‘OK.’
- Launch the Netflix app and simply login to your Netflix account using its credentials.
- Now look for ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ to begin viewing.
That’s it, you may now begin streaming episodes of ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ on your Roku device!
Watch The Queen’s Gambit on Amazon FireStick
Here are the steps to follow if you want to view The Queen’s Gambit on your Amazon FireStick:
- Open FireStick, and navigate to the homepage.
- In the upper left corner, click the Search symbol.
- Enter Netflix and choose the top option from the list of results.
- Select the Netflix app.
- Choose either Download or Get. The download will take a few minutes.
- After a successful installation, use the app and you’ll be able to watch Netflix on your FireStick.
- Now that you’ve loaded Netflix on FireStick, you can join up for the service and begin using it.
- Once that’s done, look for ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ within the app, and begin streaming it.
Voila! You are all set to stream episodes of The Queen’s Gambit on your Amazon FireStick/FireTV now!
Stream The Queen’s Gambit On Apple TV
To watch The Queen’s Gambit on your Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Subscribing to Netflix, as it exclusively offers The Queen’s Gambit in their portfolio is the first step to begin the streaming process.
- Now open your Apple TV, and navigate to the app store.
- Go to the search bar, and type in the name of the streaming service to which you’ve enrolled i.e. ‘Netflix’.
- To install the Netflix app on your Apple TV, click on the Install option.
- Open the Netflix app when it has been installed and log in with your credentials.
Now look for The Queen’s Gambit to begin viewing. So that is how you may stream The Queen’s Gambit on your Apple TV!
So now that you know how to stream The Queen’s Gambit on Roku and other major streaming platforms, watch it episode by episode on your streaming device, without any hassle. Thank you for staying with us till the end. We hope that you found this article useful. See you soon!